Friday 22 April 2011

Thesis? What thesis, I've got a wedding

Another video that I got from someone posting it on facebook, but thats gone well in the past and this give me an excuse to bring up the topic of the Royal Wedding on the 29th April. The only chances of you not knowing what I'm talking about would be if you've been living in a cave since November.

The anouncement kickstarted the 'put William and Catherine's face on everything' souvenir industry, and I do mean everything. It also kickstarted the trend of posting links and images of merchandise which one hoped was a joke to facebook.


My friend Samira was sent a link to the Crown Jewels website by her sisiter (or perhaps it was the other way around, I forget) and since then I have sent her a link to just about every piece of tatt memorabilia I saw. For your pleasure, there are images of some of the best (and I use the word very loosley) ones dotted around the blog. Want your very own, life size carbaods cutout of the couple's offical engagement photo? You got it.
=======>




Not a premanent enough reminder of this very special day? Well, I suppose you could put the image on a piece of furniture, but that's surely going too far...


Maybe not.

On a tight budget but don't want to be left out of the fashoin for tatt memorabilia? No problem, just get yourself down to your local budget food store for the affordable range of mugs, plates, <== tea towles and champagne flutes. ==>

I buy wedding magazinzes on occasion (I've been engaged for a couple of years in case you think this is either a hit to the other half, or just plain odd). I enjoy looking at all the reception decoration ideas and at the real like weddings, but since Wills & Cate announced their engagement, it seems that its manditory to have a spread which involves Union Jack bunting and and royal puns.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I'm not much further in my thesis word count and summarizing what I've been reading is what I'm supposed to be doing for the thesis, so it doesn't make much sense to do it here instead of in the thesis. Not sure how it makes sense to be messing around with the blog either, except that I'm determined to stick to my blogging schedule for at least the next few weeks. So, some stuff about the thesis...
  • My main objective in this chapter is to establish my argument on the mythic qualities of my studied author
  • I start this by offereing  review of some of the most commonly cited theorists of myth such as E B Tylor, James Frazer, Sigmund Freud, Mircea Elidae, Carl Jung, Rudolph Bultmann, Bronislaw Malinowski and Claude Levi-Strauss
  • I then go on to establish the difference between the prose narrative terms 'myth', 'legend' and 'fairytale' using some of the most commonly cited theorists in fairytale and folklore. (My thoughts on this boil down to these differences being subtle and that many thorists use these interchangably. While bearing in mind the established differences, many of the main parts of these three forms of prose narrative which I will be considering in my analysis are common to all three forms.)
  • The next stage is to establish the relationship between myth and literature. This is what I'm working on now. I aim to have at least 4-5000 word on this by Thursday next week.
There, are you happy? :-P

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the thesis. Maybe you could try to ignore the tacky wedding souvenirs? ;)

    If you have time for it, I'm starting up a 'Critiquing Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

    ReplyDelete