Tuesday 22 November 2011

Quick Post - Pre-Vamp Conference Write-Up Teaser

I promised that I'd write up a review for a recent conference that I attended at the University of London on Vampires: Myths of the Past and Future. It was three days jam packed with papers and discussions and it's not something I'll manage in one post. I'll be cracking on with this later on this week since the timely release of Breaking Dawn Part 1 has brought vampire fiction back to the mainstream for a while.

For now I give you a log from Who's Jack by Joe West on women and the Twilight franchise. His mate Kaja ('rhymes with Fire not Badger') is also my mate Kaja who I attended the above conference with. you can read the article here:  http://www.whosjack.org/in-my-opinion-twilight-women-me/

I'll be returning to some of the issues raised in her comments, but I agree most strongly with the need to redress the way in which the readers/viewers of these books/films are continually being vilified and patronised as if they are somehow not able to rationally separate themselves from the fantasy of the texts. I know many people who have read the books and seen the films and the only place so far that I have encountered the hysterical obsession that these texts supposedly engender is in academia.

1 comment: