Monday 5 November 2012

How the NaNoWriMo Fever Can Help You Write Your Thesis


*Cross posted from my academic wordpress blog.*
It's now officially November, and the blogosphere is buzzing with the optimism of the first few days of National Novel Writing Month, better known as NaNoWriMo.
Having presented at two rather large conferences in August and September, and gotten married in October progress on the thesis has been somewhat...slow. I'm not alone in this, and as the dark nights draw in and we're less inclined to venture out of an evening and instead cuddle up on the sofa with the heating on it seems the perfect time to remedy this.
When discussing how to get motivated into actual writing with a fellow PhD student who is consequently also a friend from my Undergraduate degree, we talked about going into 'Hermit Mode' or having a 'lock-in' like we did when the deadlines inevitably converged at the end of a semester and we pledged to support one another. At the same time my blogroll on my other, personal blog was filled with writers getting started on NaNoWriMo.
This had me thinking about the connections between creative and academic writing, something I feel is both legitimate and overlooked, and I thought that using the concept of NaNoWriMo for our Thesis writing could be just what we need.
I'm not the only one to think of this, and there are a few blogs discussing NaThWriMo such as this one which was started back in 2008, but nothing more recent than this. In light of this I've decided to start NaThWriMo myself, and I'll be bloging here (and cross-posting with my personal blog) and starting a Facebook group for anyone else who wants to join me.
Right. A thesis in a month. I can do this...sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment